What is Biofreeze? Ingredients, Benefits, and Side Effects
Biofreeze is a topical painkiller by Performance Health, a pharmaceutical company specializing in the supply of healthcare products.
For over 25 years, Biofreeze has been helping people overcome pain due to sprains, strains, medical conditions like arthritis, etc.
According to the manufacturer, Biofreeze is effective in reducing:
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Knee pain
- Neck pain
- Ankle pain
- Wrist pain
This pain relief formula is based on the science of cryotherapy, usually referred to as cold therapy.
In simple words, Biofreeze works using unique chemical compounds that create a cooling sensation when applied onto the skin, creating a counterirritant effect that masks the pain in the inflamed tissues.
All Biofreeze formulas contain menthol as the critical ingredient. The supporting agents and inactive ingredients may differ between the various product forms.
According to medical research , menthol is one of the most potent natural painkillers out there.
A study published in the journal Rehabilitation Research and Practice  found menthol to be more effective than common analgesics in alleviating pain.
Based on the results from another study , the menthol in Biofreeze is almost two times more effective than ice in reducing joint and muscle pain.
When using any Biofreeze pain reliever, keep the following points in mind:
- It is meant for external use only.
- Biofreeze is not suitable for children under two years of age.
- Apply every 6 to 8 hours as needed without exceeding four applications in 24 hours.
- Consult a physician before use if you are pregnant, nursing, or have sensitive skin.
- Rinse hands thoroughly with cold water after use.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mouth.
- Do not apply to wounds, irritated or damaged skin.
- Do not massage or use heating pads after applying Biofreeze.
- All Biofreeze products are only designed to provide temporary relief from minor aches. If symptoms persist for more than seven days or worsen despite application, discontinue use and consult a doctor.
Biofreeze is a popular cold therapy pain relief formula that is useful in treating body aches due to sore muscles or stiff joints.
Many fitness enthusiasts, arthritic patients, and professional athletes trust this brand to keep pushing forward.
Want to learn more about its benefits and see how people feel after using Biofreeze?